Thursday, October 09, 2008

Life on Mars

 

 


Tonight was the premiere we've been looking forward to of a re-worked British show called "Life on Mars". Love LOVED the original show, starring John Simm as Sam Tyler. And I'm crazy about the Gene Hunt character in the British version. And evidently, the cop car (jam jar) which is a Ford Cortina, has/had a following of its own, including my other half. We watched every episode and regret that we haven't seen the sequel series where Gene Hunt moves to London and wreaks havoc all over again.

The American version looks promising. However, the Sam character seems a bit more serious in this show, am hoping he gets a bit lighter treatment as this goes along. And Harvey Keitel is brilliant casting as Gene Hunt. I named a couple of the tunes along the way too. We're looking forward to more of this show and hope it is as good as the original. Just an old 70's kind of girl, me. I think he is driving an Olds 442, but forgot to look close enough to tell for sure. Might be a Cutlass, but I'm thinking 442. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Quick comparison on the Sam Tylers: John Simm, thinner and cuter; Jason O'Mara, fairly high on the pretty-hot scale so far. John Simm, looks like he belonged in 1973. Jason O'Mara, who cares, lets see more of him!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

We watched it and thought it looks promising, never saw the BBC show, but it's on BBCA now.

Anonymous said...

I totally love this show! I think it has a lot of promise with Jason O'Mara in lead. Great cast, great premise...what's going to happen next week?? Do you think they'll take him back and forth between decades?

pamokc said...

Hi Anonymous. Well, I don't think they will take him back and forth across the decades. In the original English version, he was definitely stuck in the 70s (same as me, a bit) ... but he would hear the present day through the radio and tv, that sort of thing. Will just have to see what else they do with it. Is this you Jen?

pamokc said...

Sarah, I hope they lighten it up just a bit. The English version was definitelyi able to have fun with it too. Hard to describe those subtle differences!!!

The Troll said...

The preview looked interesting. Dang, there are a lot of brit-inspired TV shows these days.

Janet said...

I have never seen either version of this show, will look out for it though. I used to drive a clapped out Ford Cortina a long time ago.

joelmead said...

Pam,
I started watching the US version but found it a bit pointless. They seem to have regurgitated th UK show but without the humour. Keitel is no match for Philip Glenister. It just doesn't seem to translate…