Monday, October 19, 2009

U2 in Norman, Oklahoma!

A long-time dream came true this past Sunday night with a local concert by U2 in the Sooner stadium in nearby Norman, Oklahoma!  Couldn’t believe it when the concert was announced.  John knew I’d be getting tickets as he had been warned years in advance … if U2 ever came to town, baby, well, I did what I did when U2 came to town.

It was not only my pre-birthday present to myself, but also late b-day pressie to the Kymster.  Here’s the story on that!  The day the tickets went on sale, I immediately ordered two tickets.  Then wished even more immediately that I had splurged and picked up better seats.  So I did, thinking I’d either gift on the original two tickets or Craigslist them.  Then Babygirl turned 30 and it was clear what she was AFTER for her pressie!  So Kym and her Bestie Jen rode with us down to Norman for the show.

The opening act was the Black Eyed Peas, with their first concert as the warm-up band.  Fergie and Will-I-Am … beyond cool!

DSC_0035 

Fergie sang her big hit, “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (I think that is the name) and really has an amazing voice.

DSC_0056

DSC_0021

John made friends with butterfly-tattoo girl during the intermission.  Luckily the butterfly had been easily seen just below her neck in the back and he didn’t have to look anywhere too unthinkable.

DSC_0063

Here’s the spotlight guys being loaded into the spaceship apparatus.  Talk about a roller coaster ride they would be doing!

Then, it was SHOWTIME!  Sorry quality of pics is low but high in value to me!  DSC_0095 

DSC_0166It had been 26 long years since the last time the band had played Norman.  They were at the Lloyd Noble Center (mostly known as the OU Basketball facility) in 1983.  I am surprised I wasn’t at that concert – but being a broke, single mom at the time probably had something to do with it!  In 1982, I was just recently on my own in the world’s smallest house with a new-fangled thing called “cable tv”.  Part of Cable TV was the Music Television station.  One of the very first videos I saw/heard was U2’s “New Year’s Day” and I was hooked on this band from that time on. 

P1140019I’m not a crazed fan or obsessive about them, but have always liked their music and videos and …. well, the guys themselves!

    P1140035 

Only supposed “normal” cameras were allowed in the stadium.  So I left my good Nikon at home and took my older DSLR, and my trusty point-and-shoot.  Well, the little itty camera ended up doing the better job because it actually had a zoom and video.

P1140043 P1140045

 P1140053   P1140069  P1140079

The big screen on the mother ship was amazing.  And the guys are such pros that their every move looked like a music video choreography.

P1140090

I posted this photo below on the U2 website along with a mini-review of the concert and was very jazzed when it got published!

P1140091  

Bono is a total showman and was definitely on the job last night.  Maybe he was a bit political, but it was expected and really who cares, he was fantastic.  A bit hoarse maybe?  He didn’t sound exactly as I expected him to sound, but in a good way since I was surprised.  Does that make sense?  He knows his job and does it well.  There was no playing about.  His job is Rock Star and he is about the best I have seen!

 P1140108  P1140124

Okay, and how cool is THE EDGE?  Only the coolest of the cool …EVER.  But my secret crush is on Adam, the bass player.  I think he is easily overlooked with all the Bono Drama and Edge coolness, but … **le sigh** …here’s a purrrrrrr for Adam.  Am I a cougar if these guys are the same age as me?  I think not.  But debate was had among us girls as to who would be willing to have Bono’s baby.

P1140127

Above, drummer Larry takes off around the stage with his bongo drums … one of the rare times he left the drum kit center stage.  He’s adorable but oh, so intense.  Swoon!

And while most of my pics for the evening turned out like this because I was dancing while shooting ….and the lights made for difficult pics and I was on my ittle pointandshoot …

P1140016 I stood still long enough for this pic near the end of the concert … my fave of the night.

P1140098

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s the playlist from last night, basically so I can remember it for future reference.  I had been preparing for the concert by actually purchasing the newest album (No Line on the Horizon) and listening continually for the last couple of weeks.  Because of course, these songs would be highlighted at the concert.  HOWEVER, everyone was pleased with many many standard U2 classics on the playlist!

Breathe
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stuck In A Moment
No Line on the Horizon
Elevation
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
Until The End of the World
Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy - Remix
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Walk On
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

I have some video too that I will post later for Kymmie.  That upload to Youtube takes too much time!  Anyway, I hope Bono, Edge, Larry & Adam decide to put Norman on their regular tour date list because I’d be spending the money again to go see them!  And so would about 60,000 others who were there last night --  I’d be willing to bet.

Other highlights of the concert: 

*Bono singing “Amazing Grace” a capella (sp) and the crowd of 60,000 singing with him.  Beautiful!

*A cute pre-teen boy being plucked from the audience by Bono and racing him around the whole stage, and then Bono still having breath enough to continue singing!  Plus the boy was given the Bono sunglasses!  Way cool!

***le sigh***   Still enjoying it all a day later :)

3 comments:

carmar76 said...

le sigh is right! so neat that you got to go to such an awesome concert! : )

kmwthay said...

I was there for The Edge. swoon. That 12 string guitar was amazing.

Why do I always like the guitarists?

TROLL Y2K said...

Those are remarkably clear concert photos. Kudos.