Men’s round was a little ho-hum for me and I questioned my sofa time to watch. Not sure what that says about me that I stuck it out and watched to the end.
1. Todrick sang Since You’ve Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson) and jazzed it up. I loved it. Judges did not. We thought it very current.
2. Aaron who is 16 sang “Here Comes Goodbye” by Rascal Flatts. I don’t know this song. Fell flat for me (pun unintentional). Forgettable. Is he cute enough for the tweenies?
3. Jermaine sang “Get Here”, which I can’t hear without thinking of good ol’ Justin Guarini from Season One. My notes said Hotel Loungey, which Simon confirmed for me.
4. Tim Urban, who was the last-minute replacement, sang “Too Late”. I thought he was solid, not spectacular. Judges hammered him. Tweenies will love him.
5. Joe Munoz sang “You and I” by Jason Mraz, a song which I love. Thought the nerves had him, safe but good. Simon quote of the evening here: “Limp and forgettable, much like our host.”
6. Tyler the Jim Morrison Guy sang “American Woman”. Too much attitude looked over-acted. Judges agreed. But I really like this guy for some unknown reason.
7. Lee sang “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol. Another fave song of mine. Did he forget the words and mumble a bit? I don’t care. Love him. Simon liked him. However, the judges beat him up for not being the rocker guy that they know him to be. Well, judges, guess WHAT >???? WE, the viewing audience, don’t know him to be a “rocker dude” because we NEVER GOT TO SEE HIM DURING HOLLYWOOD WEEK. We had a clean slate. Judge him not, Kara, leave that to US.
8. John the Shania Fan sang “God Bless the Child.” Aarrrggghhh. Painful. Forgettable. No emotion. I actually switched the channel for a bit.
9. Big Mike sang “This Love” by Maroon Five. Another good song; jazzed it up; maybe a bit too fast? I don’t care. I love Big Mike. He’s a natural performer and potential winner of the whole shebang.
10. Alex Lambert was another young cutie who sang James Morrison song, “It’s a Wonderful World”. He was very different; unexpected in a good way; full of nerves; tweenies will love him. I call him safe tonight.
11. Casey James. Sang Bryan Adams’ song “Heaven”. This guy is polished, has star quality already, didn’t get flustered with all the goings-on at the judges table. Do I hear a little bit of BeeGees in his voice? I think so! In a good way. And Kara: STF up. Get over yourself and don’t ruin this guy for everyone else. He is very very good in his own right. Still an early fave of mine.
12. Andrew sang Fall Out Boy. Did they save the best for last as they usually do? Perhaps. He was very good. Safe, but good. Simon hammered him and expected more. But hopefully in a way to light a fire under this guy because he could go all the way too.
My votes for the evening: #1 Lee; #2 Casey; #3 Andrew, with a Big #4 to Big Mike.
I thought the boys were slightly better than the girls.
I thought Kara needs to get over herself.
I thought Ellen actually had constructive criticism and looked less of a lump than last night.
I think Simon is bored with it all.