Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesday – Action Movies

 

Okay, gang, I couldn’t decide.  Since I was running late with this due to being very busy this week (and by the way, we find out today if we all get furloughs where I work – joy of joys) … anyway action posed a bit of a problem for me.  I’m not really into shoot-em-ups and Raiders of the Lost Ark had already been taken. 

So I could not choose between two particular movies, so here they both are.

First:  True Lies with Ahnold and Jamie Lee.  With show stolen by Tom Arnold.  We love this movie at my house.  And plus, I absolutely WAS that bored legal secretary at one time until I met a British spy (well everyone thought he was a spy because he traveled so much) …

But then again, probably the earliest Action Film in my memory bank is this one – loved dearly by my dad and the family and I was always allowed to stay up to watch the very end.  No one has ever been cooler than Steve McQueen as The Cooler King; and that handsome Okie, James Garner, is just divine in this movie – what a good looking man, eh?  Here’s an interesting side note (or not):  My great-grandfather ran against his grandfather for Cleveland County Commissioner once upon a time.

So here is The Great Escape – a fave fave fave of all time.  And I will just say here that I almost went with “Bridge on the River Kwai” … but  …. but…. how do you decide on these things?

 

8 comments:

moi said...

Mmmmm . . . Steve McQueen. Love both these movies. True Lies is one of the few times I could actually stand Arnold Schwarzenegger, too. Usually, I just find him too clumsy. Happy MCW!

Boxer said...

I'm with Moi, I loved True Lies and found Arnold less annoying than usual.

Thanks for playing and sorry about the potetial furloughs.

K9 said...

mcqueen trumps true lies big time. both are action, but i think with great escape, you get to identify with mcqueen in a very tangible way - the quest for freedom. good choices, but you should have to enter with just ONE, girl.

whats the status on sterling. i am very bothered about this situation. if i could have a cat, i would have him. a farm cat! however, i bet he would kill a chicken.

Buzz Kill said...

Yeah, I definitely liked the Great Escape better than True Lies. Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson were really good in this. I liked McQueen in the motorcycle scenes. I think it also inspired Hogan's Heroes so it gets bonus points for that. Bwahahaha

Happy MCW!

Pam said...

Moi: Same here re Ahnold. Usually can't stand him, but thought he was great in this movie. Also in Twins with Danny Devito.

Birthday Boxie: Yep; see above.

Chickie: Sterling has a reprieve at the moment. I took some advice from my post the other day and looked up cat behavior (and behavioralists) on the internet and am trying another tactic with him at the moment. He might THINK he could kill a chicken but I'm not sure he has it in him. We don't call him Weenie for nuthin'. Trying to give him "more" good attention so that he isn't feeling left out of things. We must be nuts.

Buzzy: Actually, I think Hogan's Heroes was based on Stalag 17 (Or is it Stalag 13), which is another movie we watch around here every time it comes on tv. William Holden and a very young Peter Graves (Mission Impossible). B&W. If you haven't seen it in ages, check it out. We quote from it all the time.

Karl said...

Good evening Pam,

They were both good choices as action films. As far as film quality, Great Escape was much better.

Aunty Belle said...

The Great Escape is PRIMO! Seen a gillion times and never stopped lovin' it.

Yep, Jim Garner is eye candy.

TROLL Y2K said...

Great picks. I liked True Lies too. Fast-paced.