Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesday – Best Science Fiction

I’m not a Science Fiction kind of gal.  And the reason I’m not is this movie that I selected.  Scared the holy crap out of me back when I was a kid.  I can remember going to one of those triple features on a Saturday – the kind where mom dropped you off with your brother and your sister and were told to entertain yourselves for the rest of the day.  The highlight of those days would be getting the Orange Dreamsicle out of the ice cream machine.  Usually the movies were Abbott & Costello meet the Zombie or something like that.  Or those Egyptian Mummy come-to-life movies.  But this one … terrified me forever and is the reason I don’t like Science Fiction to this day.  I can remember hiding my face in my brother’s shoulder when the space ships came and caused poor Friday’s bracelets to zap him.   Couldn’t find a good clip, but here’s a trailer.  I give you a 1964 classic – not the best science fiction – but S.F. nonetheless ….. here it is …. ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS!

9 comments:

Boxer said...

Have I saved you some therpay? Now you know why you don't like SciFi? I'm not a big fan either, but I'm really enjoying the picks and happy to see mostly old. That's a surprise.

Yours is a classic and I really loved your write up too. Happy MCW!

carmar76 said...

*giggle* "How long can he survive?!" My thought was - Not long since he just flipped up his visor and Mars's atmosphere is toxic. I love sci fi, but those manatee space ships were frightning!

Milk River Madman said...

They didn't leave much in the previews. About got the entire movie in there. Great clip.

xl said...

Did not see that one.

Happy MCW!

moi said...

Great cheesy stuff! Bwahahahaha to Carmar's visor comment, too. Happy MCW, Pam!

K9 said...

reminds me of back when you could take bottle tops in for a free matinee and they had these boxes of candy with prizes in them. so fun. dornt remember the movies. never saw this...or maybe i did

Happy MCW

Buzz Kill said...

I have seen this movie but forgot that Adam West was in it. I think there was a scene where Carusoe finds his body. This is kitschy sci-fi at its best.

Happy MCW!

Aunty Belle said...

No love lost on Sci-Fi, PamOKC?

I ain't to big on it, mahself, but onc't in awhile.

A young lady I knows onc't tole Aunty that scary movies din't scare her.

"really?" asked Aunty. "Would you like to come to our house on Friday night--I think I have a movie that might break yore unscared streak...

she came, we loaded up Sixth Sense and that girl ate her thumb nails to the quick!

HappyMCW

Karl said...

Good morning Pam,

Oh, I liked this one. The Robinson Carusoe story was a favorite, put it in space, all the better.

Happy MCW!