Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Bokeh Experiments

Me and Sterling were watching Glee.  And getting pretty bored with it all.  Except for the sparkly lights blinking on and off around the living room.  Yeah, that’s it, Sterling, let’s experiment with some Bokeh pics, ala the current Pioneer Woman contest, and see if we can get anything worth submitting!

Now, I know I don’t have the superest of super-duper lenses, but let me tell you, this is much harder than one would think!  And I will spare you the totally out-of-focus efforts.  Argh!

 

_DSC0105

Lesson 1:  Something should be in front of the lights on which to focus, so that the lights go all bokeh-y.

_DSC0109

And then having said foreground in focus should also be key.  Try that again, okay?

_DSC0110

Better, but not perfect.  Trying again.

_DSC0118

Nevermind.  Let’s move on.

_DSC0136

Christmas ornament?  Lens wants to focus behind it.  Not a good look.

_DSC0141

Different ornament?  No focus at all.

_DSC0147

Oooh, how about a Christmas card?  I love this one that Ashli used of Baby Avery on their family Christmas card.  (Yes, I’ll take credit for that pic, love it…)

_DSC0151

Oh so difficult to get this going right.

_DSC0154

Not bad, but don’t like the off-white window blinds.

_DSC0156

Me like this one better.  May have to edit this one some more.

_DSC0172

Sterling gets in on the act.  He’s obviously bored with Glee also.

_DSC0174

But the light from the kitchen looks nice on his wittle face.

_DSC0175

Sterling:  “Yeah, I’m bored.  I’m always bored.  Where’s Sally?"  I might need to chase and bite her.”

_DSC0183

Sterling:  “What do you mean, I can’t chase Sally?”

_DSC0185

Sterling:  “You talking to ME?”

_DSC0186

Sterling:  Big Yawn.

_DSC0189

Sterling:  Shakes head “no”

_DSC0199

Absolutely no focusing on the Christmas card from this viewpoint.

_DSC0220

Vintage Santa Bokeh with Glee on TV in background.

_DSC0244

Meh.

Oooh, how about a little composition using the glass and the coffee table?  Perhaps!

_DSC0250

Meh.

_DSC0251

Better.

_DSC0253

Potential.

_DSC0254

Potential.  But I want more blur.

_DSC0255

Hmmm. Better?

_DSC0256

Still better methinks.

_DSC0258

Better, but I want the wording in focus also.  And more of baby Avery.

_DSC0260

Success!

_DSC0269

And maybe the best?

Thanks for sharing in my bored-with-Glee bokeh photo extravaganza.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Nothing worthy of submission, though, but I had fun.

fishy said...

Goodness, what fun a girl can have with a camera , a few cats and blah tv.