Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesday – Favorite 1940’s Movie

Am sure I have used this movie for something before … and I tried not to use it again.  I looked through several lists of movies and the only thing I could come up with was a couple of Katharine Hepburn / Spencer Tracy movies … or The Snake Pit, which just scared the Be-Jesus out of me as a kid.

Sorry, but for me, there is only ONE movie from the 1940’s … CASABLANCA.   It is divine.  It is inspired.  It is the kind of movie that you look at in a new way every time you see it.  Does she love Rick?  Or is she just using him to ensure the safety of her husband, Victor Lazlow.  (Which is my personal opinion.)  Plus it helps that Rick admires Lazlow and that just complicates things.  And that’s just the love story part.  The whole Rick and Inspector Renault friendship is reason enough to watch this movie.

To all of you who have put it off … just find it on TV and set the DVR.  Then some night when there is nothing else on, set it to play and enjoy.

8 comments:

Buzz Kill said...

Yep, the Holy Grail of 1940's movies. "Round up the usual suspects." - I forgot that line was in there.

Happy MCW!

Joanna Cake said...

What a fabulous clip! Happy MCW x

moi said...

I never trusted Ilsa, either, although I think the expression on her face at the end of the movie redeems her just a tad. Also, it's interesting to note that she never says, "Play it again, Sam." Only, "Play it."

But, yes, one of best movies of the era, if not of all time.

Milk River Madman said...

What? No "We'll always have Paris?" What a rip-off! :)
Happy MCW.

Boxer said...

Mr. Boxer and I just watched this in the last few months and I have to agree with you - it gets better with time, or it doesn't get old. It's a rich, complex movie and if I hadn't used it for a different MCW, it would have been mine. Good pick.

Troll said...

Great movie. Ronald Reagan was the first choice for the role of "Rick" but he had US Army Service commitments.

Karl said...

Good afternoon Pam,

Yes, a classic for sure. I'd forgotten about the gambling line, that was good for a grin.

A happy clip day to you.

Pam said...

Buzzy: Love that line and how it is used.

Joanna: So many clips are disabled on Youtube, it is getting tougher all the time to find good clips!

Moi: Oooh, so glad you agree about Ilsa. Interesting. I thought I was the only who felt she was sitting him up.

MRM: Sigh. Another great line .. this movie just full of them.

Boxie: I'm sure I've used it before on another MCW, but hey, classic is classic and nothing else compared for me.

Troll: I'm not really a Bogie fan, but thank goodness RR wasn't in this movie. President, yes, but not this movie.

Karl: I'm shocked, SHOCKED! that you could forget such a line.