Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesday - Favorite 50's Movie

Happy MCW! My favorite 50's movie for this week (and this is a tough decision actually, there are many that I just love) ... anyway, I went with Imitation of Life starring Sandra Dee and others I can't think of their names right now.

This is the type of movie that might come on late night when I was a kid, and mom would let me stay up to watch because there was some sort of life lesson that I needed to learn. And really, I think I learned most of my life lessons via television. Much easier on moms in those days to plonk the kids in front of Leave it to Beaver or Lassie and let us learn how to behave. It worked for me at any rate.

This movie is epic in many ways ... lots of melodrama, the racial issue, the coming-of-age issue. And it might just be why I wasn't afraid of being Single Mom for a long time. Lots of strong women in these 1950's movies, they totally don't get the credit they should.

Now, if "Suddenly Last Summer" had been a 1950's (alas, it was 1960), well, that would have been my choice. Meanwhile, here is IMITATION OF LIFE.


8 comments:

Brit Gal Sarah said...

I have never seen either of these, which I may have to correct now.

Pam said...

Oh Sarah, yes you do. Suddenly, Last Summer is Elizabeth Taylor, Katherine Hepburn and Montgomery Clift (or is it Cliff)? A more beautiful woman never existed than Elizabeth Taylor in this movie. This one, Imitation of Life, just grab the whole box of Kleenex because you will need it.

Karl said...

Good morning Pam,

I've not seen it. It does have some pretty racy topics for a movie with Sandra Dee.

Happy clip day!

María said...

Hey ! I think that it is a good blog and very hard-working!
I have never senn one of the films of the 50´s, i think that on the weekend I will see one. Thanks :D

Come and take a look to my blog of the violence of women:)

http://digamosnoalmaltratodelamujer.blogspot.com/

moi said...

I've seen this! This and the Douglas Sirk movies of the 1950s really dug into a lot of stuff that was lurking just beneath the era's shiny happy surface and are worth re-examining for sure. And, actually, my film reference book has Suddenly Last Summer as 1959. BRILLIANT film.

Milk River Madman said...

Can you imagine a scene now where Sandra Dee was slapped? It probably wouldn't happen in Hollywood. Nice clip PAMOKC. Happy MCW.

Troll said...

Melodrachickflickestrogenic.

Grrherhahahahhaha!

Buzz Kill said...

"Unreservedly the one picture you must see" Bwahahaha - I haven't seen it. But Sandra Dee was just coming into her own (she was only 17). And then she broke out of her teengirl roles for - the Dunwich Horror. The epitomy of schlock 70s horror.

I actually liked Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift in Raintree County, which also qualifies for this theme (1957).

Happy MCW!