Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesday–Fave Movie of the 1930’s

This was a tough category for me.  Of course, my obvious choice is Gone With the Wind.  But then stumbled across this gem. 

The 39 Steps

Saw this for the first time ever on what was (if I recall correctly) the first trip to UK with the then-boyfriend (now hubs).  We stayed up really late one night to watch this on one of the two stations his television would pick up at his flat.  Since then, it rolls around every great once in a while on classic movie channels.

Also, there is a great re-make we watched on Masterpiece Theater in the not so distant past.  And I discover it is now a stage play as well.  Goes to show that a great story is timeless, eh?

A note from:  http://www.archive.org/details/The39Steps

One of Hitchcock's earliest hits, The 39 Steps (1935) sees The Master unravelling the soon-to-be-typical plot of an innocent man on the run, trying to prove his innocence.

11 comments:

Troll said...

Great choice. Fantastic. Alfred rocked it with this one.

Happy MC day!

Milk River Madman said...

I need to watch more old movies.

Karl said...

Good afternoon Pam,

That was a good one. I don't remember did Hitchcock cameo in this film?

Happy clip day.

moi said...

A classic, most definitely! Not sure I ever saw a Hitchcock I didn't like. Happy MCW. Now, excuse me while I get back to the Boutique Time Suck :o)

Pam said...

Troll: Yes, it is classic.

MRM: Yes you do. This one in particular.

Karl: Actually, I think he is in this clip - toward the end where they are pushing into the car ... he is a younger man in the clip than what you might be familiar with ...

Moi: Yep i know.

Buzz Kill said...

This is a Hitchcock I've not seen. I like how he tortured that poor waiter with the dish tray.

Happy MCW!

Boxer said...

Hey I missed this. GREAT pick. One of his best. Happy MCW!

chickory said...

i like this pistachio lookin page! nice re-do. I couldnt do the MCW this week -heck i thought the 40's was hard. but youve intrigued me with this choice. I thought i had seen every alfred hitchcock but no!


Happy MCW!

Aunty Belle said...

Anythang Hitchcock is fantastic.

We could have a cyber movie night--we pick a movie, pivk a night an all watch it an blog our thoughts afterward--no cyber popcorn, though.

moi said...

I love Aunty's idea! Let's do it.

Pam said...

Buzzy, that was a great scene, very well choreographed.

Boxie, glad you approve!

Chickie, it is a great movie, you should watch it. Early Hitchcock. And look for a recent re-make that was on PBS in the last year or so. It was very good also. I think it is on Broadway at the moment as well.

Aunty, that is a great idea and a natural progression of MCW. Hmmm, how to achieve that?

Moi, I'm in, ya'll tell me when and how and who and what, let me know!