Friday, March 18, 2011

Toward the Ledge

 

http://towardtheledge.wordpress.com/

This is just to remind myself to put this blog on my sidebar list soon so I can keep up with a lady named Deb, who is roughly my own age, minus a couple of years, who just quit her job and sold most of her stuff to go on a self-designed mission trip of sorts in Africa.

She will be working with ladies of a village helping to teach crafting of products to help them become more financially independent.  A cause that speaks to my own heart.

I am acquainted with her via the workplace …. she would bring people in on occasion to our office for various reasons.  Plus for some reason, she reminds me of my mom …. or rather, she reminds me of my mom’s LOOKS at this particular age.  My mom go to Africa to work with natives?  No way in hell.  It would have kept her off the golf course.  But I digress.  There is just something about Deb and her spirit and her looks that reminds me of my mom somehow.

Plus she has one kick-ass pair of boots that I covet.  Ed Hardy maybe?  Certainly that type of pattern – sort of a cowboy boot with animal print and tattoo hearts.  So not my style.  But I’d wear those boots if ever given the chance!

But none of that matters.  What does matter is that she is one brave soul.  Even with nuclear disaster looming and political unrest on the continent of Africa, she hops on a plane out of Tulsa all by her lonesome and heads to a village at the base of Mount Kilamanjaro.  Well, it is more than just a village (I looked it up), but still beside the point.  Brave.  Not sure I could do this on my own.

I think she had given up on meeting a boyfriend here in Oklahoma.  Her job had become maybe a little stale to her.  So she decided to see the world and change her life on her own terms.  I told her that I wish for her a successful mission trip (which I think is about herself as much as helping villagers in Africa), and a romance with a big, strapping Aussie guy who will be working on the same project she has adopted. 

Go Deb, you go girl!  Stay safe, be wise,  I hope you find what you are looking for!

2 comments:

Boxer said...

Wow. You're right, she's truly brave and I hope her mission is safe and successful. I always wonder why people don't chose to stay in this country to do these amazing deeds? But then, I sit on my couch watching American Idol, so I really have nothing to say or judge. But, I love anyone who's willing to move into their mid-life with great boots and attitude. It's what I'm looking for now, so I'm going to link her blog also and I'll be rooting for her too.

Happy Friday!

moi said...

Well, if something's not working in one's life, best thing to do is shake it up. Easier said than done, I know, but sounds like she did it. Good on her.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that a strapping Aussie comes her way.